Monday, November 22, 2010

Pumpkin Granola

I have only tried to make my own granola one other time. I liked it, so I thought I'd try again with the additional of pumpkin.


Adapted from Annie's Eats

3 1/2 C rolled oats
2 1/2 C puffed rice cereal
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C pumpkin puree
1/4 C applesauce
1/4 C maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
up to 1 1/2 C chopped nuts
up to 1 C dried fruit
up to 1 C mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325°.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine oats and puffed rice cereal.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin pie spice, salt, sugar, pumpkin puree, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla extract.  Whisk until very smooth.  Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until the oat mixture is evenly coated.  Spread on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.

Bake for 30 minutes.  Then turn over the granola using a large, wide spatula.  Sprinkle the nuts onto the granola and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until crisp and golden.  Depending on the size of your baking sheet, the center may not be fully dried if your granola layer is thick, so if necessary remove the edges of the cooked granola and let the rest cook until done, 10-15 more minutes.  

Cool on pan or on a fine wire rack.

Break up granola as desired and toss with dried fruit and chocolate chips.  Store in an airtight container.

My Notes:
This took forever to bake! Next time, I will spread it between two cookie sheets. I think spreading it out would make it cook far faster.

And, about the puffed rice cereal - I used a Kashi puffed rice cereal. It was a great addition.

And, my dried fruit of choice was cherries. Although, cranberries would work great - if you like that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment