Sunday, October 31, 2010

Granola

Brad loves to make yogurt, granola, and fruit parfaits for breakfast. Good granola is really expensive and always seems to have some ingredient I don't like the taste of. I was excited to find this recipe. I was even more excited to try it and find out that it was easy to make and tasted great.

The only downfall was the cost of the ingredients. The agave nectar and coconut oil weren't things I had in my pantry. They were hard to find in the store (finally found in the organic food section) and were expensive - $10 total, I think. I did end up with enough agave nectar for a few more batches of granola; there was lots and lots and lots of coconut oil left, too.


Recipe taken from mcoleman at Tasty Kitchen

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
10 servings

1 C sliced almonds
1/2 C agave nectar
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 C shredded unsweetened coconut
1 C dried cherries
1/2 C chocolate chips
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Toss oats, almonds, agave nectar, coconut oil, and salt in a large bowl. (Do not add dried fruit or chocolate yet.)

Bake for 5 minutes. Pull out of the oven and toss. Put back in the oven and bake for 5 more minutes. Bake until it's just beginning to turn golden but not burned - about 15 minutes total.

Add dried fruit and chocolate chips. Mix and let it cool.


Doesn't it look cute?

Note: Brad and I ate about three-quarters of the batch in a week.

1 comment: