Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sloppy Joes

Sloppy Joes of my childhood always had crunched potato chips on top. Sloppy Joes of my recent life are always made with ground turkey. I picked this just because I was looking for something different.

Taken from Pioneer Woman Cooks

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4


1 Tbsp butter
1 lb ground beef
1/4 whole large onion, diced
1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic minced
3/4 C ketchup
1/2 C water
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
1 Tbsp tomato paste
Salt and ground papper, to taste
Rolls, for serving

Add butter to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of the fat and discard.

Add onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables begin to get soft.

Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add tomato paste and Worcestershire. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

Spoon meat mixture over the rolls.

My Notes:
These were really delicious and easy to make. They actually tasted really similar to Manwhich.

1 comment:

  1. I must admit - I love sloppy joes. Except for the beef part. ;)

    ReplyDelete