Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pumpkin Tiramisu

Pumpkin. Yum. Tiramisu. Yum.
Why in the world would I not make this recipe?


Pumpkin-Chocolate Tiramisu
from Everyday Food, November 2010 (p. 118)

Servings: 8
Active Prep Time: 30 minutes
Chilling Time: minimum of 3 hours


1 C mascarpone cheese
1 1/4 C heavy cream, cold
3/4 C powdered sugar
5 Tbsp amaretto (such as Disaronno
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
2 oz semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp unsweetedn cocoa powder (plus 1 1/2 tsp for dusting)
27 to 30 ladyfingers (from a 14.2 oz package)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, for dusting

Whisk mascarpone until smooth. Add 1 C cream, powdreed sugar, and 2 Tbsp amaretto; whisk until soft peaks form (about 5 minutes). Fold in pumpkin puree until co mpletely incorporated.

Combine chocolate and 1/4 C cream. Microwave in short increments (about 20 seconds each), stirring each time, until chocolate is just melted. Stir mixture until smooth.

Transfer one-third of the pumpkin mixture to another bowl and fold in chocolate mixture until combined.

In another bowl, whisk 1 Tbsp cocoa into 1/3 C hot water; add 3 Tbsp amaretto.

Cover bottom on 8" square baking dish with ladyfingers. Liberally brush with cocoa mixture and top with half the pumpkin mixture. Add anotherl ayer of ladyfingers, brush with cocoa mixture, and top with all the pumpkin-chocolate mixture. Add a third layer of ladyfingers, brush with cocoa mixture, and top with remaining pumpin mixture.


Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours (or up to 3 days). To serve, dust with 1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.

My Notes:
First, I tried this recipe out on some of my most discerning taste-testers. Believe me, they have very refined palettes. It passed their high standards.  Although, most of Dorothy's serving had to be scrubbed from her hair in the bath tub.



Next time, I would change the cocoa mixture that the ladyfingers are coated with slightly. I would mix only 1 Tbsp cocoa powder with 1/3 C hot coffee (instead of hot water). I was sort of missing the coffee taste that is in traditional tiramisu. 


Also, I would add additional chopped semisweet chocolate. Chopped chocolate sandwiched in each layer would have added some much-needed texture.


I am certainly not going to give up my pumpkin cheesecake or pumpkin pie to serve this at Thanksgiving, but I'm glad I tried it and will add it to my list of possible fall desserts in future years.

No comments:

Post a Comment