Sunday, April 18, 2010

Week 34: Carrot Cake (belated Easter)

I've been meaning to share this for awhile. I got distracted by the pizza, though.

Here's the cake I made for Easter. . . .

I have an incredibly complicated carrot cake recipe from my great uncle involving pineapple and raisins and coconut and shredded carrots and lots and lots of mixing. Needless to say, I was a little skeptical of this carrot cake recipe - it doesn't have hardly any ingredients. It did not, however, disappoint.

Taken from Pioneer Woman Cooks

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Servings: 12



FOR CAKE:
2 C sugar
1 C vegetable oil
4 whole eggs
2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 C grated carrots

FOR ICING:
1 stick regular butter, softened
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 C pecans, chopped

Mix together the sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. In another bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to first mixture and combine. Then add carrots and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured pan (bundt, sheet cake, 9 x 13 pyrex) and bake until done, 25 to 50 minutes, depending on the pan you use.

(I used two circle pans. It still took close to 50 minutes to cook.)

Cool completely.

In larger bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and vanilla and blend, then mix in the nuts. Spread on cooled carrot cake.

I doubled the frosting recipe, ate many spoonfuls, and still had lots and lots left-over.




My notes:

This recipe is a keeper. I think it may have replaced my great-uncle's stand-by simply because it's way easier.


My mom was awfully proud of herself; she taught Luke to stick his fingers in the frosting and lick them off. Guess the cake really was irresistible.




No comments:

Post a Comment