Thursday, October 8, 2009

Week 6: Leek and Potato Soup

This dish was inspired by my first fall trip (with Stephanie and AJ) to the Farmers' Market. AJ really had a great time!


There were leeks at almost every stand. (Although now that I look at this picture closely it is, in fact, of just ordinary green onions and not leeks.)


(There were also brussels sprouts. They looked so cool - I had no idea how they actually grew. But, I was not tempted. I do not like brussels sprouts.)


What's a girl to do with leeks?
Make leek and potato soup.

And, where does she find her recipe?


Adapted from:
Potage Parmentier (Leek and Potato Soup)
from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, p. 37 - 38
by Julia Child

3-4 C (or 1 lb.) peeled potatoes, diced
3 C (or 1 lb.) thinly sliced leeks
2 quarts of water
1/2 Tbsp. salt
2 to 3 Tbsp. softened butter
2 to 3 Tbsp. minced chives

Simmer the vegetables, water, and salt together, partially covered for 40 to 50 minutes. While you are doing this your house will slowly begin to smell wonderful - all leek-y and potato-y and comfortable.

Use a blender to puree soup in small batches. Julia says to mash the vegetables with a fork or use a food mill. This sounded like way too much work, and I didn't want chunks. So, I opted for the blender. If I had an immersion blender I would have used that.

Off heat and just before serving, stir in the butter by spoonfuls.



We ate the soup with ham and cheese paninis, and I've been enjoying it for lunch for several days now. I will definitely make this again. YUM!

1 comment: