Monday, September 13, 2010

Zucchini Slop

This one-pot side dish is exactly what summer tasted like in my childhood. I have no idea how my mom came up with the recipe or when she started making it. I just know that I love it.

So, I am sharing it with you so you can enjoy the last of the zucchinis and keep a little taste of summer in your fall.


Mama Sue's Zucchini Slop
Makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes of chopping
Cook time: About 50 minutes

4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbsp butter (additional butter to taste)
1 green pepper, cored and seeded, roughly diced
1 large or 2 medium zucchini, peeled, quarter, and sliced
Salt and pepper to taste

Place potatoes, onion, garlic, and butter in a large pot. Barely cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until potatoes begin to soften, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Add green pepper and zucchini. Continue cooking over medium heat (uncovered) until all ingredients begin to turn to soften and turn to slop, about 15 to 20 minutes. It is important to stir often.

Also, you might need to add water or milk to reach desired consistency. I prefer a thick consistency, like a stew. Add salt, pepper, and additional butter to taste.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. that's a little different from my mom's recipe- which I don't have written down :) but hers has no garlic and I know she added oregano. either way, zucchini slop is the best!

    ReplyDelete