Saturday, August 14, 2010

Week 50: Berry-Marshmallow Trifle

I chose this because I needed a fun, quick, and easy summer dessert.

Taken from Healthy Cooking, August / September 2010 (p. 28)
Prep time: 25 minutes
Yield: 10 servings


 1 3/4 C cold skim milk
1 pkg (1 oz) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 carton (8 oz) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
1 loaf (10 3/4 oz) frozen reduced fat pound cake, thawed, and cut into 1" cubes
3 C fresh strawberries, halved
2 C miniature marshmallows
3 Tbsp sliced almonds

Whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until softened. Fold in whipped topping; set aside.

Layer ingredients. Begin with cake cubes. Add pudding mixture followed by strawberries and marshmallows. Repeat until the dish is full. Top with sliced almonds. Chill until serving.


My Notes:
This would fill a 3-quarter trifle bowl. I do not have a trifle bowl. Instead, I used the adorable dishes you can see in the picture (from Fishs Eddy). I made them just a little too full, though. Not only were they over-flowing, but they had way too much dessert for one serving. They did keep really well in the fridge, though.

I would like to try this with my own pound cake - maybe something like a lemon pound cake.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! This looks delicious. I made up a trifle recipe last year using Sarah Lee pound cake. It layers the cake, macerated strawberries and a mixture of lemon pudding and whipped cream. You could also use angel food cake and other flavor pudding. Anyway...people liked it for some reason.

    I have a lot of catching up to do. Sorry for being a bad follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of angel food cake instead of pound cake, Denise.

    ReplyDelete