Sunday, November 15, 2009

Week 12: Hamburger Helper Stroganoff

My mom is a great cook. We never ate Hamburger Helper growing up (unless we were at a friend's house where it happened to be served).

But, when I went to college Hamburger Helper somehow found its way into my meal rotation. I had a little love affair with the stroganoff variety (the one with noodles); it is, in fact, the only variety I like. I used to make it on the counter top of my college apartment in an electric skillet.

I'm not sure if I was feeling nostalgic or what, but I found myself with a serious Hamburger Helper craving while making this week's grocery list. I couldn't bring myself to just buy the box of Hamburger Helper, so I opted for this recipe instead.

There were a surprising amount of Hamburger Helper-esque recipes online. I even found out that Hamburger Helper recently changed their stroganoff recipe, so if I had bought a box there is a good chance I would have been disappointed. In the end I decided on the recipe below because it didn't have any bouillon cubes in it; bouillon cubes freak me out - too much salt.

Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper
(I'm totally embarrassed to say that I found this on a message board somewhere and didn't save the original link. I feel horrible that I can't give credit where credit is due.)



1 lb lean ground beef
1 can cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
1 C + 1 soup can water
1 envelope Lipton dry onion soup mix
1 1/2 cups raw egg noodles
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 Tbsp. ketchup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cheese slice

Brown and drain the beef in a large pot.

Add everything to pot with beef, except sour cream and cheese. Simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally or until noodles are tender. I used whole wheat egg noodles. They cooked up great with the amount of liquid listed above.

Stir in sour cream and cheese slice. (I used a Kraft Single slice. Totally gross, I know, but it did the trick.) Serve.

I loved this! It was super, super easy and tasted great. Plus, the left-overs were a great lunch the next day. I'll definitely make it again.

1 comment:

  1. This was my most favorite Hamburger Helper, too. I can't buy it, because I will eat the whole box and I don't even like hamburger that much. LOL! I will definitely be whipping this up. Thanks for the nostalgic throw back into time. :o)

    ReplyDelete