Sunday, November 8, 2009

Week 11: Spaghetti Puttanesca

I never knew I liked puttanesca. The capers and the anchovies totally kept me from ever trying it. But, when it appeared as a special on the menu of one of our favorite restaurants (without anchovies listed as an ingredient) a big glass of Shiraz gave me enough courage to try it.

And, two days later I made my very own version in the comfort of my own kitchen - capers and anchovy (paste) included.

And, the next day I had the leftovers for lunch.

And, two more days later I made it again.

And, the next day I had the leftovers for lunch.

I think I may have developed a bit of an obsession.

It was quick and super-flavorful and a great excuse to pay a visit to my favorite Italian deli. We will definitely enjoy this again and again and again.

Spaghetti Puttanesca
Serves 2 (generous servings)

Adapted from:
Cooks Illustrated
Smitten Kitchen
last weekend's special at Wild Truffle



8 oz regular spaghetti
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 tsp dried flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup pitted chopped Kalamata olives
1/2 lb Calabrese, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp capers, rinsed
1 tsp anchovy paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes and juice
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 C grated Parmesan

Notes about the ingredients - You could definitely substitute whole wheat spaghetti or even another shape of noodles (like penne). I think you could also substitute pepperoni (or turkey pepperoni if you want it really healthy) in place of the Calabrese. The anchovy paste was super easy to work with and didn't produce anything that resembled a fishy taste.


Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.

While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium flame. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the parsley, olives, Calabrese, capers, anchovy paste, oregano and crushed red pepper to the skillet, and saute for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes.

When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the skillet, tossing it with the sauce to combine. Top with grated cheese.

1 comment:

  1. I have always been squeamish about those little fishies, but I think I could handle the paste, too. the recipe sounds wonderful and knowing you had it frequently speaks loudly. I will give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete