Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Week 3: Apple Walnut Ravioli


Not a lot to say about this one. I was looking for something quick, simple, and different.

Adapted from
"Ravioli with Apples and Walnuts"

in Real Simple, October 2009, p. 208

Serves 4
Ready in 20 minutes

1 pound cheese ravioli (fresh or frozen)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 C walnuts, roughly chopped
1 crisp apple (such as Braeburn or Gala), cut into matchsticks
1/2 C fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper
1/4 C grated Parmesan (1 oz.)

Cook ravioli according to package directions.

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the walnuts and cook, stirring often, until lightly toasted and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.

Add the apple, parsley, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper and toss to combine. Spoon over the ravioli and sprinkle with the Parmesan.

My first mistake was to substitute spicy sausage ravioli for cheese. I thought the sausage would taste good with the apples. It didn't.

I did, however, also add some cheese tortellini. That tasted much better.

The 1/2 tsp. salt was also way too much for me.

Overall, I'm not so sure I'd make this again. It was quick, though, and a surprisingly good combination of flavors.

3 comments:

  1. funny...the kids said that the salt was waaay too much for them. other than that, we all gave this a thumbs up! I cut the apples very thin, and added extra walnuts...and extra olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds and looks good. I might have to try it at least once. I don't do meat ravioli so I'd definitely use cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds intriguing. Healthy - a good way to get fruit into the diet. I'm gonna give it a try.

    ReplyDelete