Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Week 22: Crockpot Asian Barbeque Chicken

Truth: As a mom, I heart the crock pot. Anything that allows me to get dinner ready while the little dude is his happiest, first thing in the morning, is a huge help. Unfortunately, I find that some crock pot dinners have the "crockpot taste." So I was skeptical when I decided to try this meal that it might taste like all the other chicken dishes I have tried.

Recipe: Crockpot Asian Barbeque Chicken
Adapted from: 365 Days of Slow Cooking


2 pounds Tyson boneless, skinless chicken thighs tenders (don't use chicken breasts)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced

Place thighs into the bottom of a slow cooker. Lay as flat as possible. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook on Low for 2 hours. Turn chicken over and cook 1 hour longer. Serve.

My notes: This didn't taste like it was cooked in the crock pot, perhaps because it only spends 3 hours cooking on low rather than a whole day. This worked out okay for me since I am home all day, but I can see where this would be a difficult recipe to make during the week if you don't get home from work until 5pm. The only real issue I had with the recipe is that the sauce wasn't as thick as I would like it to be. This could be in part due to the fact that I did not measure any of the ingredients and just kind of "tossed it in there." Next time I might consider adjusting the amount of liquid or cooking it down some once the meat is ready.

I will definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment